This one-bite appetizer is an easy way to impress guests at a dinner party. Prosciutto and melon may seem like a strange combination at first, but it is very popular in Italy. My theory is if you add parmesan cheese to anything, it is sure to be a hit! Remember, for a dish this simple, it is the quality of ingredients that will make it special. This dish takes very little time to assemble and still manages to look elegant on a plate.
- 1 cantaloupe, diced into 16 2-inch squares
- 1 125g package prosciutto
- 1 brick Parmesan Cheese (any kind you prefer)
- 8 basil leaves
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Glaze
- For the prosciutto: It will naturally tear into thinner strands as you take it out of the package. Rip the prosciutto into 2-inch wide strands.
- For the basil: Roll the leaves by layering them on top of each other into a cigar. Gently slice across which will create confetti-like strands. This is called a chiffonade.
- For the parmesan: Using a peeler, shave off thin sheets of parmesan that are about the same length as the melon cubes.
- Wrap one piece of prosciutto around the melon and it will automatically stick together.
- Place each piece of wrapped prosciutto on top of a Parmesan shaving.
- Sprinkle the basil on top of each cube.
- Lastly, using a spoon, carefully drop some of the glaze onto the cubes.
- These can be served at room temperature, so it is a great treat to make a half hour or so before your dinner party starts!
- If you cannot find balsamic glaze at the grocery store, you can reduce regular balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium low heat until it is thick and syrupy.
Categorized as: Apps Tagged: appetizer, balsamic, basil, bite-size, cantaloupe, Italian, lunch, melon, melon prosciutto bites, parmesan, party, prosciutto, snacks, summer, The Garlic Pad
LEAVE A COMMENT