Another name for bolognese, this is a family favourite and is made at least once a week at home by my talented mother. Served over fresh pasta or paired with crispy garlic bread for dipping, this sauce is the epitome of comfort food.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce can) San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- few grinds fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 2 or 3 fresh basil leaves
- 1 or 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- Remove meat from the fresh one half hour before starting to cook. Heat olive oil in a medium to large size sauce or saute pan on medium heat. Saute onions, stirring with a wooden spoon 3-4 minutes until softened and they begin to colour. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 more minutes, stirring occasionally, watching that the garlic doesn't burn. Increase heat to medium high.
- Add ground beef to the pan by placing small mounds, roughly the size of tablespoons, and distribute evenly in the pan. The pan will sizzle with the increased heat but do not stir. Allow the meat to cook for a few minutes until it starts to brown on the bottom. You may push the onions and garlic to prevent them from burning. After the meat has browned on one side, gently stir to brown the other sides of the mounds.
- When the meat is almost cooked through (slight pink remains) reduce the heat to medium and add the tomato paste, stirring gently to combine with the meat without breaking up all the mounds. Gently break up the tomatoes with the wooden spoon. Bring the sauce to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Add seasonings and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste to correct seasoning. Just before serving, remove bay leaf and add freshly chopped herbs (chiffonade).
- Serve hot with fresh pasta.
- Allowing the beef to caramelize and brown before stirring increases the flavour of the meat and yields a "chunky" texture to the sauce Use good quality ingredients for best results.
Categorized as: Meat, Pasta Tagged: chunky meat sauce, spaghetti bolognese the garlic pad, the garlic pad chunky meat sauce, the garlic pad lindas chunky meat sauce, the garlic pad spaghetti bolognese