Gooey and delicious! This is an indulgent sandwich will make you feel like your eating french onion soup at your favourite steakhouse. If you cut these into little bite-size sandwiches, you’ve got yourself a perfect party appetizer.
French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese
Write a review
1 hr 30 min
1 hr 30 min
- 8 slices of white bread
- 1 stick of butter, room temperature
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 small onions, or 2 large, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig of thyme, leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, grated
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saute pan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Saute the onions, and stir occasionally, until they are golden. This will take closer to a half hour. When they are cooked to perfection, toss the onions with the sherry vinegar and thyme leaves and season with a pinch of salt and a few grinds fresh pepper.
- Combine half of the remaining butter with the garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spread the garlic butter on one side of the bread. Cover with 1/4 gruyere cheese and top with 1/4 cup of the onions. Spread the garlic butter on another piece of bread and top with a handful of mozzarella. Close the sandwich and spread the regular butter on the outside. Repeat with the other 3 sandwiches.
- Preheat a saute pan to medium high heat. When the pan is hot add the sandwiches, two at a time. Cook until golden on both sides and the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes. Slice into halves. Serve and enjoy!
- When cooking your onions, do not turn the heat too high because they will burn instead of caramelize.
The Garlic Pad http://www.thegarlicpad.com/
LEAVE A COMMENT