December 13, 2014
One of my favourite dishes to have on a chilly day, it is smooth, rich, and so satisfying. The cheddar lends a pop of colour to the dish and also makes it extra decadent.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
Write a review
- 3 cups of broccoli, florets and stems, chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup leeks, white parts only, chopped
- 1 russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup cream (18% or half and half)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot heat the butter. In another pot add the stock and heat it through.
- Sweat the onions in the butter until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add the leaks, celery, carrots, and potato and toss to coat. Add the hot stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add the broccoli and salt and pepper to taste and bring back to a simmer, until all of the vegetables are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- When the vegetables are cooked through, leave the mixture to cool slightly. Lade the soup, broth and vegetables, into a blender and pulse until it is creamed and has a velvety consistency.
- Return the pureed mixture back to the pot and reheat. Add the cream, nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When serving the soup, ladle a portion into each bowl and add a tablespoon of cheese per bowl. Serve and enjoy!!!
- If you are opting for a healthier dish, omit the cream and it will still taste very good.
The Garlic Pad http://www.thegarlicpad.com/
LEAVE A COMMENT