January 25, 2015
Butternut squash is a great source of nutrients. This recipe is a smart choice for those who are looking for a healthy and comforting appetizer or lunch. However, I cannot resist serving this dish with a piece of garlic bread for dipping!
Butternut Squash Soup
Write a review
- 4 cups butternut squash peeled, deseeded, cut into 2 by 2 inch cubes
- 1 granny smith apple, core removed, cut into 2 by 2 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, medium dice
- 1 small carrot, peeled and medium dice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 cups of chicken broth, heated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onion, and saute until translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the apple, carrot, and butternut squash and coat with the butter. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Add the heated broth to the squash mixture. Add the bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a gentle simmer, and cook until all the vegetables are tender, 20-25 minutes. Remove pot from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Remove bay leaf and any herb stems that remain. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or use an immersion blender directly in the pot. Reheat, season with nutmeg and additional salt and pepper if necessary. Serve hot and enjoy!
- If you want a richer soup feel free to add 1/2 cup cream when reheating the soup.
The Garlic Pad http://www.thegarlicpad.com/
Categorized as: Apps, Soups Tagged: butternut squash and apple soup, butternut squash soup, dinner, healthy soup, lunch, soup, The Garlic Pad, vegetable soup
LEAVE A COMMENT